State of the Pelham

Information about phpbb and setting up this whole forum thing

Moderator: Will

Will
Admiral
Admiral

State of the Pelham

Post by Will » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 pm

I don't know what going on. My hosting company is cracking down on out of date software. which is good and bad. Good to keep spammers and hackers in check, bad because i'm using a modded version of phpbb and is quite difficult to upgrade.

My first issue: only given 1 email dated 11/10/2009 (even tho it claims otherwise) and nothing since.
Re: Notice of phpBB 3 disablement

Dear William Sullivan,

We emailed you a little over a week ago to notify you that you have an out of date script in the directory containing, or a parent directory of, /home/furtives/public_html/pelham/cache/data_global.php. It is urgent that you upgrade that script as soon as possible.

What happens when you don't get upgrade the script, vulnerabilities that have been made public and are patched in the new version are still exploitable in the older version you are running.

Once a hacker exploits your script they will often do things like send spam, which gets the server blacklisted for all the users on there, and in some cases our upstream provider will null route the IP which disable all the sites on that server. The hackers will also often infect your site with malware, which will get you banned from the Google search index, or deface your homepage which looks bad for your customers/clients.

Please upgrade that script immediately or we will have to disable that directory. If your script is installed in the public_html directory this will disable your whole site. Per our terms of use you are responsible for keeping your scripts up to date, including scripts which may have been initially installed through cpanel or fantastico.

If would like us to upgrade the script for you, for a nominal fee please contact the helpdesk.

Sincerely,
Kevin P.

second issue: I am up to date on the latest major version, but i basically don't have the service packs. I'm sure they have some web software that's not running latest build version.

So I'm looking for a way to either move hosting or deal with this error. I have not spoken with support yet because I don't have the time (working 12 hour days right now, worked 10 hours this past Sat.)
Coco Crisp wrote:but boom, boom, bam, he hit me in the leg.
Cipher
Master Chief
Master Chief

Re: State of the Pelham

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:36 pm

(1) What is the functionality of our modded version of phpbb, as opposed to a vanilla version? Anything we'd cry over losing?

(2) They mention upgrading the script for a "nominal fee." Would they "upgrade" it to a version that lets us keep whatever's modded? If so, could we chip in on this nom-nom-nom fee?
Gay boy: The hipsters make it so tricky. Back in college, if a guy in tight pants asked if I wanted to go play handball, I knew I was getting my dick sucked. Now, I might actually have to play handball.
- Overheard in New York
Will
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Will » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:15 am

Cipher wrote:(1) What is the functionality of our modded version of phpbb, as opposed to a vanilla version? Anything we'd cry over losing?
I'm not totally sure, I only remember 2 right now - the custom profile fields (characters & xbox live) and the show unread count.
Cipher wrote:(2) They mention upgrading the script for a "nominal fee." Would they "upgrade" it to a version that lets us keep whatever's modded? If so, could we chip in on this nom-nom-nom fee?
Probably not worth it.

My biggest problem is that the current version is 3.0.6 (Major Version 3, Minor Version 0, Revision 6) and I'm on 3.0 so the only difference is minor revisions. Dell hasn't taken my computer away because I have Windows XP. They are running Apache Web Server 2.2.11 but the latest Apache is 2.2.14... They are running MySQL 5.0.85, but 5.1.40 is the latest stable version. perhaps a little of their own medicine? And it's not like i'm getting this for free, i do pay.
AngryEd
Gorn Captain
Gorn Captain

Post by AngryEd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Willis = Denzel? :laugh: <3
Your post is shit.
Will
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Will » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:42 pm

I fixed it. I had 2 problems i think, 1. my admin page was resolving to a different IP then everything else so I couldn't change anything that was active, and 2. the permissions error that caused the lockout was pretty simple fix once I was able to see the folder with no access.
michael lynch
Ship's Bartender
Ship's Bartender

Post by michael lynch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 am

I'm just sorry that I didn't live to see restoration of Pelham, having killed myself out of frustration last Thursday.
"The only best way I can explain it is if somebody opens up a bomb and it just goes boom"- Gloria Laplant, bystander, ETown.
michael lynch
Ship's Bartender
Ship's Bartender

Post by michael lynch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 am

External links no longer opening in new tab/window.
"The only best way I can explain it is if somebody opens up a bomb and it just goes boom"- Gloria Laplant, bystander, ETown.
michael lynch
Ship's Bartender
Ship's Bartender

Post by michael lynch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:22 am

Wait. That was the default before, right?
It's been so long, maybe I'm misremembering.